Reactive Arthritis / Reiter's Syndrome & Its Ayurvedic Treatment
A person's own immune system becomes overactive and begins fighting their own body is referred to as having an autoimmune disorder. As we all know, the immune system protects our body from infections and viruses. Immune cells can normally distinguish between bodily cells and foreign bodies, but in cases of autoimmune diseases, they are unable to do so and attack healthy cells instead of the foreign bodies. In this instance, the immune system targets the eyes, bones and Urinary Tract. Reiter's Syndrome is one such illness that will be covered in this article. Let's have a look at the syndrome carefully!!!!!
An infection within the body can cause a kind of arthritis called reactive arthritis. Reactive arthritis is most frequently brought on by a bacterial infection in the intestines or a sexually transmitted infection. It is regarded as a kind of spondyloarthritis autoimmune illness. It frequently takes a while for the arthritis to appear after the infection has been adequately treated. The large joints of the lower extremities frequently show symptoms in people with reactive arthritis. Reiter's syndrome, a triad of Arthritis, urinary tract inflammation and eye inflammation was the original name for reactive arthritis previously.
Some Facts About Reiter's Syndrome / Reactive Arthritis
Following are one of the common facts that one must know about Reiter's Syndrome:
- Before, it was believed that the condition wasn't frequent.
- According to NIAMS (The National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders) Men are more likely than women to develop reactive arthritis.
- Diagnosis of the condition is more difficult in Women.
- 30 years old is the typical onset age.
- Males are also more likely than women to have significant joint pain.
Causes Of Reiter's Syndrome / Reactive Arthritis
The most frequent cause of reactive arthritis is bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract or urinary tract. Chlamydia trachomatis is the most frequent bacteria linked to reactive arthritis that is the reason for chlamydia infections. Sexual contact is the main way that this bacteria is disseminated. Symptoms of reactive arthritis can also be caused by the same bacteria that cause food poisoning. Shigella and Salmonella are common examples of these food poisoning bacterias. Reactive arthritis development may be influenced by genetics. Reactive arthritis is more common in those who carry the HLA B27 gene, according to NIAMS. Not everyone who carries the HLA B27 gene will experience reactive arthritis if they contract an infection.
Symptoms Of Reiter's Syndrome / Reactive Arthritis
Reactive arthritis is accompanied by three different sets of symptoms:
- Symptoms associated with Musculoskeletal System: Symptoms of the musculoskeletal system include swelling and joint pain. Ankles, knees, and the sacroiliac joints in your pelvis are the joints most frequently affected by reactive arthritis. Moreover, you can feel tightness, pain and swelling in the joints of your fingers, buttocks, back or heels.
- Symptoms associated with Urinary System: Urethritis is a disorder that manifests as urine symptoms. The tube connecting your bladder to the exterior of your body is called a urethra. The inflammation of this tube is known as urethritis. A frequent urge to urinate and burning or pain when urinating are the most common symptoms. As part of reactive arthritis, men may develop prostatitis. The prostate gland becomes inflamed when someone has prostatitis. When a woman has cervicitis, her cervix becomes inflamed. Furthermore, reactive arthritis may be indicated by it.
- Symptoms associated with Eyes and Skin: One of the primary signs of reactive arthritis is eye inflammation. Your mouth and skin may also be affected by reactive arthritis. The membranes of the eyes become inflamed when conjunctivitis occurs which includes symptoms such as Itching, Pain, and discharge. Moreover, skin rashes like keratoma blennorrhagica (tiny pustules on the feet soles) could appear. Less frequently mouth ulcers can occur.
Diagnosis Of Reiter's Syndrome / Reactive Arthritis
A physical examination, a review of your medical history and blood tests to screen for infection or inflammation will all be performed by your doctor. Moreover, a blood test might reveal whether you have the HLA B27 gene, which raises your risk of reactive arthritis. If your symptoms point to a chlamydia infection, your doctor may order additional testing to rule out other sexually transmitted infections. In men, the urethra will be swabbed, while in women, the pelvis will be examined and the cervical cavity will be swabbed. A needle-based arthrocentesis, which includes draining the fluid from your joint, may also be performed by your doctor. The fluid is subsequently subjected to tests.
Ayurvedic View Of Reiter's Syndrome / Reactive Arthritis
Reiter's condition is classified as an "amavata vyadhi" or Vata dosha illness in Ayurveda. Neurological or neuromuscular diseases can be linked to vata vyadhi. Pain, numbness, and weakness are the sole causes and pathogenesis of ailments brought on by vitiation of the vata dosha in general. Rasa Dhatu, Rakta Dhatu, Asthi Dhatu, Majja Dhatu and Vata dosha are involved.
Causes As Per Ayurveda
- Intake of Unctuous
- Cold meals in excess
- Suppression of Natural Desires
- Incompatible Food Intake
- Infections as Agantuj karana
Symptoms As Per Ayurveda
- Toda (Aching Pain)
- Ruk (Pain on the joints)
- Lalima (Redness on joints)
- Sada (Weakness)
- Sopha (Oedema)
- Jwara (Fever)
- Svedana: Svedana, a popular Ayurvedic therapy, uses herbal steam to help the body discharge toxins through the skin. Sweda is a Sanskrit word that means "sweat" or "perspiration." During this therapy, sweat is discharged via the skin pores, which releases ama or toxins that are deeply ingrained in the body.
- Lepa: Lepa means applying herbal packs to various body regions. It is a combination of herbal powders and liquids like water, milk, honey, fruit juices, etc. In case of Reiter's Syndrome Lepa of Vatahara herbs can be used which includes all the herbs of Dashmool and various other Vata Pacifying herbs.
- Abhyanga: Ayurvedic massage is called abhyanga. Snehana, which means "Love or to nurture," is another name for it. This is due to the fact that applying oil to the body is a loving gesture. Oil is incredibly nutritious and calms the skin, nervous system, and immune system in addition to the skin.
Yoga for Reiter's Syndrome
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam: Relieves aches and pains and relaxes the mind.
- Shavasana: Calms the body and the psyche.
Herbal Treatment By Planet Ayurveda For Reiter's Syndrome / Reactive Arthritis
In accordance with the goals of Ayurveda, which are to promote good health in healthy people and treat disease in sick people, Planet Ayurveda is a clinic that provides services almost worldwide. They formulate a variety of herbal and herbo-mineral supplements that completely adhere to Ayurvedic principles. These medications are free of fillers, gums, resins, colours, fibres, and preservatives. The majority of the time, medicines aid in preserving general health as well as in preventing and managing practically all health issues. We shall learn about Planet Ayurveda's treatments for this disease in this article based on our previous discussions.
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Yograj Guggul
- Aamvatantak Churna
- Ashwagandhaghan Vati
- Orthovita Oil
1. Boswellia Curumin
Boswellia Curumin is one of the capsule formulations made by Planet Ayurveda. These capsules are purely herbal and made up of standardized extract of herb Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curumin (Curcuma longa). Both the herbs serve with best anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. These capsules provide miraculous relief in tod (pain) and Shopha (inflammation). The antioxidant effect of these capsules helps in eliminating Ama dosha from the body which is the reason behind this autoimmune condition.
Doasge: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Amalaki Rasayan
Amalaki Rasayan is one of the herbal capsules made by Planet Ayurveda with standardized extract of herb Amalaki (Emblica officinalis). Amla is one of the best sources of Vitamin C which makes this herb one of the best anti-oxidant. These properties of Amalaki Rasayan help in preventing free radical formation and eliminate the Ama dosha from the Body. Amla helps regulate uncontrollable urination by cleansing the bladder and strengthening the muscles that control it. So it is quite helpful in reducing the symptoms associated with the Urinary System.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Yograj Guggul
Yograj Guggul is one of the tablet formulations that has been used since ancient times to regulate the Vata Dosha related conditions. Guggul (Commiphora mukul), musta (Cyperus rotundus), amalaki (Emblica officinalis), pippali (Piper longum) and some other ingredients combined to form these herbal tablets. This medicine is excellent for balancing Vata dosha and removing Ama dosha from the body, which aids in managing symptoms of Reiter's Syndrome.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Aamvatantak Churna
Aamvatantak Churna is a Poly-herbal powder formulated by Planet Ayurveda. This herbal powder contains Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), etc. As the name says, aamvatantak aids in calming the vata dosha and removing ama dosha from the body. This formulation effectively reduces the symptoms of Reiter's Syndrome, such as pain, stiffness, inflammation, fever, etc by reducing the ama and vata doshas.
Dosage: 1 tsp twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Ashwagandhaghan Vati
Planet Ayurveda prepares Ashwagandhaghan vati, a traditional Ayurvedic medication, in accordance with ancient texts. The main component of this medicine, which is available in tablet form, is ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). It is one of the greatest rasayanas and has amazing antioxidant effects. Also, it has immune-boosting qualities that aid to lower the risk of the immune system destroying healthy tissues by raising immunity. The best strengthening characteristics of ashwagandha aid in lowering reiter's syndrome-related weakness.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
6. Orthovita Oil
Planet Ayurveda prepares Orthovita Oil using a variety of herbal oils. This oil is made up of saindhavadi taila, gandhapura oil, turpentine oil and shula gajendra oil. This oil has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and vata pacifying qualities. It also has properties that reduce stiffness. So, when this oil is applied locally to the affected area, it reduces the numerous symptoms of Reiter's Disease like pain, inflammation, etc.
Method of Application: Apply on the affected area 2-3 times a day.
An infection within the body can cause a kind of arthritis called reactive arthritis. The most frequent cause of reactive arthritis is bacterial infection of the gastrointestinal tract or urinary tract. It affects the Musculoskeletal System, Urinary System, eyes and skin. Reiter's condition is classified as an "amavata vyadhi" or Vata dosha illness in Ayurveda. Treatment as per Ayurveda includes various Local treatments such as Swedana, Lepa, Abhyanga, etc and Various Yogasana helps in reducing the symptoms of Reiter's Syndrome such as Nadi Shuddi Pranayam and Shavasana. Along with this Planet Ayurveda provides a herbal treatment that helps in eliminating Ama Dosha from the body and pacify Vata Dosha thus reducing various symptoms of Reiter's Syndrome.